How To Get Rid of Mold
Simply getting rid of mold initially can be easily done through the use of an EPA approved mold killer like SaniDate 5.0. SaniDate 5.0 uses peroxygen chemistry which is safe and leaves behind no toxic by products and residues. These type of products will kill mold and mold spores present on a variety of surfaces, as well as sanitizing and disinfecting in the same process.
Killing the mold, however, is only the first step in controlling the growth of mold and ensuring you are rid of it permanently. The only long term approach to controlling and preventing mold growth is through effective moisture control.
The following are tips provided by the EPA on ways to control moisture indoors for the purposes of getting rid of mold problems.
When water leaks or spills occur indoors - ACT QUICKLY. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
- Actions that will help to reduce humidity
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
Actions that will help prevent condensation
- Reduce the humidity.
- Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and/or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
- Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.Increase air temperature.
The best way to get rid of mold is to prevent it from growing in the first place. Control moisture and don't allow for a breeding ground for mold to flourish and you will be light years ahead. But if you do have problems, always know there are products like SaniDate to help.